Free MMO's

Germaximus

Friend
Main Character
Germaximus
~Long read~

Imagine if World of Warcraft were just some free game you found on the internet. Some of these games really are that good.
Keep in mind tho for the most part the biggest reason these games are free is because a lot if not most of the cool stuff is something you still have to pay real money for. Some of the games have a limit of how many levels you can play up to, or how much of the game you can access in the same sense as a "free trial."
Dont let that get you down tho, a lot of them (again if not most) allow you full access to the game itself while offering special items for real cash on their website.

Usually you should be able to find out what you will be able to access in the game before trying it out, so have a good look at it if you think youre interested. Their websites usually have all the info you would want, even screenshots and videos before downloading it to try it out. Some websites dont tho but you might be able to find some personal videos of the games on youtube.

My personal spotlight for right now is the game Battle of the Immortals which you can check out at http://boi.perfectworld.com/.
If you enjoyed Diablo you will probably get a huge kick out of this game. Im not saying its the same, but its similar enough, its just more MMO than the hack and slash Diablo is. You dont want to just rush out and grind monsters for XP, quest it up. The wonderful thing about that is you pretty much cant run out of quests.

The introduction in this game is basically from level 1-20 which goes very very fast. Gets you into the basics, but theres so much more its ridiculous. After level 20 you are sent to the main city in which you run around the whole place picking up chained quests that try to give you an idea about all the many things you can and need to do in the game. I felt overwhelmed personally while doin this stuff, but at the same time i figured itd be ok. :p I was more right than i expected! After probably an hour (im only guessing, it takes some time) going around just talking to the NPC's who are trying to get you into everything the game has to offer i got super lost. So i just quested at random pretty much.

Questing is pretty crazy, its over simplified but at the same time i think it allows you to enjoy everything at not only your own pace but just simply being a lot more comfortable with the game since there is a freaking lot to learn about it. This is a system ive seen in a few other games ive tried, it was new to me but now it seems like all the new MMO's are doing it. What happens is you can pick a quest, then click on the monster or NPC in the quest that you need to kill/talk to and you auto path to it. Remember when youre starting out and you use this feature, you can run through agro mobs that will indeed attack you. You can charge through them or stop and fight.
Back to the original point i was getting to in the previous paragraph :p eventually you will get quests that go over some of the stuff that was in the original main city tutorial after hitting level 20. So after you go through all the learning stuff you will get quests that sort of help you through it again, but this time you actually do it instead of knowing whats to come in the future. Are you with me? :p
Basically if you forget everything the npc's were trying to teach you when you hit 20 and go through the city, as you level up you get quests that take you through it again as you do it. The first time they just tell you about the game, after you level up more you actually do the things they told you about.

*There are tons of events i have not done as ive leveld up that are available.

You get your first mount at level 25, you can purchase it at level 20, dont tho, at 25 (when its useable) im pretty sure you get one automatically from the quest they have you do.

Leveling up: I thought this was a damn cool feature, however its also necessary to level up your skills. After reaching level 30 you can actually build up your XP and not level up your character. I literally had enough XP for 3 levels before i used it. The reason for this is because you need to spend XP in order to level up your spells. Its not as bad as it may sound and i personally think it works out great and is an interesting idea. Im sure its been in other games, none ive played till now tho. The spell upgrades also cost gold coins or whatever besides XP, and its freaking expensive! Annoyingly so. The good thing is you dont have to upgrade your spells very fast anyways, dont worry about it. Well thats my experience as a Heretic so far (priest/cleric type).
Earning coins in the game is a super pain in the ass. As long as you quest it up tho youll find out at a certain point that making money can be ok. I think making gold in the game is probably the most tedious thing. :p You do specific quests that you get specifically to make more money (youll see) and the drop rate is retarded having you farm for quite a bit.

Ive only done 1 dungeon 5 times so far, it was pretty cool but i dont have a lot of experience there yet. Im not too worried about it, i figured id get more dungeons at a much higher level. Im not sure what the level cap is but ive seen people that are level 100. I was like whoa! Im level 37 now, and not once have the levels felt like a grind.

The game is pretty awesome looking, i love the graphics theyre not incredible but theyre pretty damn nice for a free MMO. One of the main reasons the graphics are pretty nice (i believe) is because you actually dont load up a lot on your screen at a time. Im sure that actually helps a ton with the lag. It can be annoying because as you move stuff loads up kind of slow, not laggy but ya know, mobs pop up on the screen and stuff. Its not actually as bad as other games, and its certainly not a complaint i have, so far i have not encountered any problems with it, im just lettin you know about it. Im sure theres technical terms for all that, i just dont know them.

That i believe will be the end of my BOTI review.

As some of you probably know ive also played a ton of Dungeon Fighter!!!!! I wont speak much on that but i had to mention it cuz its a freakin blast! :p
I found out a week ago that its like only available in america and canada (besides from where it originated i guess) so i was like awwwww.
It is one cool ass hack and slash rpg, i love it.

You can find lists of free MMO's at http://mmohut.com/ or http://www.onrpg.com/ or simply google "free mmo." I suggest if you do want to try some of these games out to find one that made you go "WHOA" when you saw the screenshots or videos. A lot of these are so much alike that youre not gonna wanna try the cheapo ones, go for the gold!

Not all of you are like me, i have way too much free time. Ive done everything in WoW class wise twice over and in some cases 3 times over. I got real bored and tired of being the only one online. Funny thing is some people are online more lately than they were before. :p
But now that ive found a couple other games i really enjoy im sort of breaking from WoW while guildies are out cuz PuGs are just... nevermind!

Anyways so im sure you guys probably dont care about trying other MMO's or just free fun online games but ive been surprised at the quality of a lot of these games (but believe me theres 100s of terrible ones) so im sharing my enthusiasm. :p

I hope you enjoyed the read if you did read it, and thanks for your time!
Ill probably be back with either more news on these games or new interest in others.
Im super pissed i cant get Cabal to run on my pc, it looks really damn cool.

See yas!

Oh yeah, if you do try out BOTI please use my Induction key 6470199G070401064004363S9fb29b.
Its like a recruit thing. Its for the Abyss server, so if you dont play that its cool. :p
You can get extra leveling items and another special pet at level 20.

Updated Sep. 25

Im gonna post some "first impression" reviews because even tho I havent gotten extremely far in these games I think ive played a good amount to have a really good general idea.
Also I'd like to mention that all of these free mmo's feel limited very fast unless you dish out the cash for the extra in game stuff. However if you have patience enough to work with limited bag space (biggest thing about these free mmo's) you really should find an incredible amount of fun in these games.

The reason im writing these very tiny "first impression reviews" is because I really do feel theyre worth mentioning just from a first small impression, I've played a ton of free mmo's lately just checkin them out for fun, I think im looking for something really special and I almost found it in these games but im still looking around for fun. Right now Vindictus has really drawn me in for the simple yet awesome fun it is.

Vindictus http://vindictus.nexon.net/

This is the most recently free "mmo" ive tried, just started playing last night, probably spent about 6 hours on it.
Really love this game, its a total 3D hack and slasher with plenty of the RPG element but its mostly hack and slash, its enjoyable for a kill everything with ease and be purely entertained kind of thing. I have read hints at them increasing the difficulty in the future but im not too worried about that. The gameplay is whats great about it, fast paced action and just tons of RPG element that gives you the right feeling.

Right at the start your thrown into battle and even face a boss just as an introduction to the story, I thought it was pretty cool. I liked the BFF report tankspot linked to on this game. I forgot about it until I was checkin out "free mmo's" again and ran across it.
Until October 6th beta keys can be a pain to get, right now its "early beta" stage, I believe after October 6th regular beta will be out and anybody should be able to straight download it.
Right now I had to spam refresh on a forum thread they have in order to get an early key. I had time tho.

If you do get your hands on this and try it out you may encounter a lot of buggy moments. I dont know if its my computer or if its the game but during the character selection the videos lagged out and skipped a bunch. Also when you defeat a boss theres a tiny little video thing and that skips on me too. The rest of the gameplay is very smooth tho so I've totally been able to enjoy the actual game itself. None of the storyline video has skipped on me yet either so I'm only guessing its just buggy.

Allod's http://allods.gpotato.com/landing/

To me this is so insanely similar to World of Warcraft, and I absolutely love it. I got a character to level 14 out of a max of 42. It has a sort of grindy feel to it but once I found out the level cap was 40 (now 42 i think) I was ok with it, not only that but the combat is pretty enjoyable. Its almost a WoW clone just set in another world and the classes feel much different. It has your classic mage and healer and all that stuff but they've given a lot of new class titles to their available characters, its got a nice original different and new feel. I love the graphics of it but im one of those cartoony/anime game lovers. The spell effects impressed me quite a bit.
The sad thing is theres almost no soundtrack when youre out in the world fighting monsters and questing. You get some bad combat sounds, the music is very rare but when it is playing its really beautiful so hopefully they'll have a better soundtrack in the future at some point.

If youre a super true WoW fan you should love this game if youre looking for something a little different to check out. The story seems pretty involved too, very cool stuff.

Talisman http://www.talismanonline.com/

This was very similar to Battle of the Immortals in style. The main noticeable difference from the start was this one seems more based on questing while BoTI is more based on daily events (repeatable daily quests). Has a faster pace combat feel than BoTI too. Just worth mentioning. I'll most likely post more if/when I play these more.

Every single one of these games above is extremely easy to jump right into and get the feel of it. Very fun. Let me know how you like em if you try em.

After 2 months of experiencing 30+ free MMO's of all kinds I would like to mention a couple key things they all seem to have in common for those of you interested to keep in mind. This is only for those of you that just simply do not want to pay money for the in game items and extra features.

-Bag space: Extremely limited in most cases. At the beginning it seems ok but it quickly begins to show how limited it really is.
-Professions: Due to the limited bag space I personally ignore doing professions at all in these games. If one of your favorite things about MMO's are the professions then you will most likely not enjoy these as much as someone like myself that doesnt care too much about doing them.
Im not against professions or anything but they certainly dont even make up for 1% of the enjoyment I personally get from MMO's.

In these 2 cases you will need lots of patience and simply always be on the lookout to vendor anything that isnt quest related.
The sad thing is a lot of the beginner quests are also profession related so you may have to skip these over.
Either that, or you can dish out the cash for the extra bag space and other items you may feel you need to enjoy the game further.

Well apparently in BOTI theres no questing zone after hitting level 40. Theres PvP events, and the very first dungeon you ever do (theres more) scales to your level. So i dunno now, games very cool but i want to quest more. Have to see, dont have much motivation to go farm mobs for xp cuz thats just insanely slow.

Also i found out on the forums looking for stuff that the xp you save up after hitting level 30 can only double the amount you need for your next level.
Pretty sure ive wasted a ton of that xp. :p

Im glad you enjoyed the read. :)

Wanna correct myself about BOTI, something im very happy about. Quests dont stop at level 40, maybe they do, i happened to decide to push myself up and went to 41. Right before this decision i had decided to just run out and farm crap i hadnt fought before. So i headed to a zone i hadnt been and found a crapton more quests there. I happened to push myself to 41 right before i got there so maybe i needed level 41 to get them.
The reason i wonder that is because in your quest log you can also hit a tab that says "available" and find quests in that tab that you didnt discover in the world, and that tab can take you to them.
So anyways. :)

I had forgotten to mention that in BOTI your character starts out freaking awesome looking, and they only get better! :)

Played some Cabal today, pretty neat, but i was enjoying BOTI so much i had to go back and try to get further, glad i did.

Ive played ultimate online 2d version very basic but was what got me into mmo's played for a year or 2..

Was awesome at pvp too haha.

Played MU public then private servers very decent game also

you mean ultima online? or some random game ive never heard of lol

Far out sick of my iPhone correcting me. Yeah ultima

haha i used to play that agessss ago.. was awesome

Haha was good man.

I played MU a little bit, love the diablo style of it but its so outdated at this point, was pretty bad in this time man.

Yeah but sometimes it was good playing old outdated games

I'm playing a lot of Vindictus right now, its pretty freakin fun. I think ive finally just reached my first real boss, ive faced some bosses before but this one is insanely hard solo. Ill be looking for a group to do it next time i log on.
To me its a little similar to Dungeon Fighter just because its a hack and slash game, and thats a nice break to just be able to kill stuff by beating the crap out of it or swinging swords around and just all around simple fun. DFO is really cool because i love anime style games, i love anime and manga. Vindictus is kind of cooler just because its 3D but still keeps that simple hack and slash feeling. A lot of these games that go 3D start throwing in really stupid puzzles and crap, like Tomb Raider and Resident Evil or Blood Omen (which i personally only liked the original on the PS1). Although those games are really great, some of us still wanted to just have a fun easy kill everything game. A pure hack and slasher. Of course if the game didnt have any involvement via good storyline or gameplay then it would get boring very fast. So the RPG elements in DFO and Vindictus add to that, its just still a simple relaxing game that you can improve your characters on and just kick ass.

I would say Vindictus is close to a God of War MMO. The bosses arent quite gigantic but it does have its epic feeling. I definitely hope to run across more games like this.

glad you're enjoying some old school games :D i personally can't waittt for guild wars 2.. costs money to buy the game but no subscription fee. such awesome times in the original guild wars

I still havent tried Guild Wars cuz when i heard about it all i heard was that it was a pvp only game pretty much.
ive tried tons of new games and i dunno whatever man im in america suck my %@#1ssss

says draeleon the pve hero :S horses for courses

Heyyyy I'm PvPing majorly on my horde toon k

Other MMOs are free because if they used a subscription model and tried to be the "WoW killer", they'd get crushed by WoW feature for feature.

At this point in time, I think only WoW can kill WoW... i.e. they make some boneheaded mistake like:
1. remove an entire class
2. make you lose xp when you die
3. allow your gear to be looted
4. Ironman mode = When you die, you're dead, character deleted.
5. make taller gnomes

WTB Pandaren race.

I didnt mean for it to seem like i was saying heres the next "wow killer," theyre just cool games
If any of the teams that made these games really wanted to im sure they could make something that would own the crap out of WoW.
They dont need a monthly subscription, they basically have it by selling all the extra features and crap.

Ironman mode would be awesome, could be like diablo where you have a choice of playing hardcore or normal.